8:34 am - Thursday April 24, 2014

Proposed wind farm includes parts of Piedmont

(Ben Felder/Citizen)

A major wind farm could be coming to the area and part of the $500 million project will be located in Piedmont, according to a proposal from a national wind energy company.

Representatives from Virginia-based Apex Wind Energy will make a brief presentation to the Piedmont planning commission during Monday’s meeting but the company has already secured leases with a majority of landowners. Most of the proposed wind farm will be located in Kingfisher County, but as many as 15 to 20 windmills are planned for inside the Piedmont city limits.

“It’s a really large project,” Apex Development Manager Kent Dougherty said. “The plan is to start putting (the wind turbines) up in April 2013.”

The total project could include as many as 150 windmills and Apex has already leased 23,000 acres, according to Dougherty. The entire project is estimated to provide 300 megawatts and will be sold to four utility companies in Oklahoma.

A wind farm proposal could see as many as 20 turbines built inside Piedmont city limits. (File Photo)

Wind turbines built in the city limits could bring income to the city but Dougherty was not sure on the specifics. It is possible the wind turbines could generate sales tax for the city through point of delivery on turbine parts and with each turbine costing as much as $3 million to build, it could bring an economic boost to Piedmont. Wind farms can also improve property values, which would benefit the Piedmont school district.

Representatives from Apex have already met with some city officials and Dougherty hopes Monday’s presentation can be the start of a good relationship with the city.

“Would like to work with (Piedmont) on developing a wind energy ordinance,” Dougherty said. “Something that allows for reasonable and responsible wind energy development.”

Continue to check with PiedmontDaily.com and the next issue of the Piedmont Citizen for more updates to this story.

Comments

comments

Filed in: Business, City

17 Responses to “Proposed wind farm includes parts of Piedmont”

1. Mary Bell
    August 4, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

Sounds like a winner for Piedmont. Can’t wait to hear more about this.

2. Stacy Calvert
    August 4, 2012 at 5:18 pm #

Awesome!

3. August 4, 2012 at 7:51 pm #

Definitely good news

4. ACooper
    August 4, 2012 at 9:34 pm #

I can see the benefit to the city, but I just can’t stand looking across the horizon and seeing giant windmills.

5. Cesar
    August 5, 2012 at 6:39 am #

Lets hope the commission doesn’t mess this up.

6. Pro-Piedmont
    August 5, 2012 at 10:12 am #

How can the commission mess up? It’s a win-win situation if the cit benefits

7. JT
    August 6, 2012 at 2:04 pm #

After living here for 4 years, I’ve sadly seen the city government screw up a lot of things.

• Steven Morris
      August 7, 2012 at 2:21 pm #

JT, Cesar- What I do know is that I, Steven Morris, have recently spent a lot of my time researching, gaining advice from many differing municipalities, and gaining advice on the future developments on wind use project, both residential and commercial. That is what is expected of a Planning Commissioner. I want to make sure that the ordinance that I put my name on reflects Piedmont’s best interest both for the present and the future. I am pleased with the residential ordinance that is being presented to the public, and will listen intently to what is said. As for the commercial application, I whole-heartedly want an option for landowners, the end-users, the city, and the school district to benefit from wind energy. It is the future. However, I will only do what’s best for Piedmont’s future. I will educate myself on the commercial applications, pros and cons, and begin the research that I did for the residential ordinance. While I can’t speak for the commission, I can say that I want business, I want opportunities, I want a Piedmont that stands the test of time. I want it to be true that we (Piedmont) are the “Winds of Progress”. I welcome all info, any concerns, and general ideas regarding this issue. While our city webpage is not current, please feel free to call me (405) 255-7649, or e-mail me at smorris74881@aol.com. Thank you.

8. Lauren
    August 7, 2012 at 9:56 am #

I think this is a great opportunity for us. I wouldn’t want to have them near my property either but that area is not highly populated.

9. Bill Long
    August 7, 2012 at 11:00 am #

That is a resource we seem to have a lot of we might as well make good use of it….WIND. No one should have any complaint toward city officials unless they are willing to participate and be supportive of this project. If you dont participate in a sincere way then dont get in the way.

10. Jim D
    August 7, 2012 at 11:19 am #

Based on my research, the city will only have 15 to 20 wind turbines in our city limits. The lion share willbe ib county and most in Kingfisher county

11. Jim D
    August 7, 2012 at 12:04 pm #

will be in the county limits a majority of the wind turbines will be in Kingfisher county

12. JT
    August 7, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

If the wind energy company has secured the lease with the property owner, why should the government be able to step in and screw it up? If there isn’t a turbine on your property I really don’t see what the complaint is.

13. Charles Coffman
    August 7, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

JT…. I see it as a win win. The windmill farm is going to be built so we just need to have the code in place so the few that are planned for Piedmont can go forward. We get to see some benefit. Here is a thought, maybe this will help in our revnue requests for state and county road funds. Maybe Waterloo road will carry more weight if it services the wind farm area. Have some faith now, times are changing. :)

14. donya
    August 7, 2012 at 7:16 pm #

I agree Mr. Coffman. We have a council & planning commission that has the best interest of the future of our city in mind & want to work together when planning for our future. It appears to me as if the men on our planning commission are hard @ work doing the necessary research needed to determine if this will be a good fit or not for our city.

15. Piedmont Citizen
    August 8, 2012 at 9:38 am #

I would put mine in my backyard if they’d let me….seriously. The wind rips through tearing everything up. I would love for OG&E to pay for what I give back in energy.

16. Rocky
    August 9, 2012 at 10:10 pm #

Looks like I’m a minority here. Despite potential environmental impacts on bird life, not to mention the unsightliness of these monstrosities, I’m sure this is a done deal. I don’t agree with increased property values, at least properties that come up to where the proposed turbines go, good luck to any who want to sell their properties with those things literally next door. I see those properties values tumbling. As of now, the closest one will be about 2 miles “as the crow flies” to where I live. Unfortunately, I see the day that no matter where you look, you’ll see these turbines everywhere where there’s open space. So, I’m sure no matter how much the Commission could screw it up, rest assured especially with leases in place.. this will come to pass, even if many were against it. Times are changing indeed, but is it truly for the better? And will that extra money really go to things like better roads. I’ll believe it when I see it.